Hi, I’m Geri.
I’m a piano teacher, composer, studio owner and creator of teaching resources.
I just love creating teaching resources to simplify your life, by giving you effective tools to help your students thrive.
There’s no better feeling than when you have confidence in yourself, and in your ability to help your students foster a love of music.
But I haven’t always felt this way.
I grew up in a family of concert level musicians and music teachers, but for many years, I struggled with my confidence as a teacher.
As a composer, I worked for nearly 10 years in the Australian Film and TV industry, on many big films and projects. I rubbed shoulders with celebrities, received awards, nominations, and commissions as a composer. I felt pretty damn skilled as a musician.
But as a piano teacher, for which I’ve been doing for nearly 20 years, a lot of that time, I felt like a complete imposter.
I would constantly compare myself to other teachers and feel like my students would be better off learning from someone else more “experienced”.
It was not a good feeling going to work feeling this way day in and day out.
But I was able to turn things around and these days I feel confident that I’m giving my students the best opportunity to not only foster a love of music, but to learn practical skills that could really improve their lives.
I’ve done this by bringing creativity into my lessons as a core component. Through an organisational overhaul of my business and how I deliver content to students. But most importantly, through my desire to evolve, learn and grow in all areas of my teaching life.
And I want to help you do the same.
More about Me
I live in Sydney, Australian with my partner Chris and three beautiful kids Harrison, Clara, and Jasper. I currently teach piano, theory and composition in Sydney’s CBD through my teaching studio Prima Piano where I mentor many young teachers on pedagogy and innovative strategies for the modern piano lesson.
I have a Bachelor of Music degree and a Masters in Composition at The Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS). Throughout my professional musical life, I’ve worked in many different areas.
- Teaching – Piano, music theory, composition and film music production
- Composing – Film and TV, see my Internet Movie Database (IMDB) profile, commissioned concert works, piano sheet music
- Orchestrating, music editing, copying in the Film and TV industry
- Singing – on my own scores, and in a Pink Floyd Covers Band
- Sound engineering – recording, sound design, sound fx editing, foley, at several high-end Sydney film music production houses.
- Business – co-founded and managed two studio businesses and one online business.
- Artistic administration – with a Sydney based opera company
- Web design – created three of my own websites and maintained five
- Blogging and content creation
With all these tools in my toolkit I am dedicated to directing my skills into creating resources and sharing all that I have learnt about teaching, productivity and creativity.